6/12/08

Dynamic Share Point Custom Feature Receiver

My idea was to add few Custom Feature Receivers [menu items] to make my life easy with SharePoint. I wanted to add links to routine tasks like Share point central admin, Features management etc.

Hence my first step to make this happen is Google!
---------------- Cut here ------------------------------------------------------
1998: If you are coding less than 500 lines a day you are a poor developer
2008: If you are coding more than 50 lines, it means you don’t Google enough.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Goggling I found few very good examples which I could have used but the menus were brutally hardcoded. If I had to add new one, I had to recompile/redeploy the solution. This raised a question - how about reading the menu items from a XML file? Will share point refresh when I make changes to the Xml? -- Yes it does
“XMLMenuFeatureReceiver” was the answer.

You can download the source or the WSP solution file from Codeplex.
http://www.codeplex.com/xmlFeatureReceiver/

No comments: